Tuesday, October 30, 2007


So sorry, but I have clearly been lax in my "blogging", since my last post was October 3. I've been gone for a variety of reasons, the main one because I have been very busy!!! Nothing fun, however, just work!
An update about Harriett (my longarm). In my last post I mentioned my problem with getting a good tension. Well I finally got that----I splurged and purchase a tension gauge and through trial and error, got a pretty good tension (on the front AND back). But as I was trying to get this worked out, I was breaking needles. I thought it was because I was adjusting the tension all the time. Anyway, even after I got the tension okay, I still kept breaking needles!!!!! I called the Dealer and she (and her husband) gave me suggestions, and still I broke needles. All in all, I think I broke about 30!!! I was at my wits end and was really seriously rethinking my decision to make such a major purchase. The Dealer's husband (who also services machines), came to the house and checked out the machine and low and behold, something was broken, the "something", he said, he has never seen broken before. Once he got home, he called me and said that he had spoken with the company and the machine came from the factory with the part broken--they had several other complaints about the same problem. Of course I don't get a new machine since it can be repaired, but I am so happy to know what is wrong. Hopefully when it comes back, not only will the tension be okay, but without broken needles, I should be able to quilt some of these quilt up!
Although I couldn't quilt, I did make nine baby blankets (using the nine patch baby blanket that yields three quilts out of 3 yards of fabric) for 3 girls who are pregnant at work. I will quilt them when I get the machine back.
I also have finished my "Picture This" Vest that I started in a Rachel Clark Class I took a couple of weeks ago. I am really very proud of it, and realize that because I wasn't able to quilt, I was able to get back to "plain old" sewing. I really enjoyed this use of my "creative energy". All I need to do is to hem it and put on buttons. I've included a picture in this posting. The back is a Mola that I have had for at least 10 years. I put some hand quilting on the front, and used "Nigerian Applilque" on the other side". You can't tell from the photo, but I also handquilted around some of the images on the b/w batik and added buttons on the peplum. It isn't quite as "creative" as Rachel's vests are, but for my first one, I think it was a pretty good start. I plan to make another one soon, maybe using a Christmas theme to wear to my holiday party at work, and then I am going to make a coat!!!!!! What fun!!!!!
This is all for now---and I will try to be more diligent in my postings.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007


I am not having fun with this machine at all!!!!! Thank goodness I bought 100 needles because I have broken everyone that came with the machine. I still don't know why! The tension on the front is great, but the back is another story. I get straight lines and so I follow the directions (which are very limited for the Premier) and still get a straight line. I bought a Towa gauge ($69) setter, and still get straight lines (poor directions again). Then I dropped the bobbin case and now the bobbin doesn't go around like before smoothly, so again following poorly written instructions, I think I fixed the problem. Just to be on the safe side I ordered another bobbin case ($39). I wondering if this was a good idea, but I am going to stick with it and I WILL learn how to do this!!!!!!!! The problem is the majority of the instructions are for the big machines. This little ones have absolutely no detailed instructions that I can find--which seems a bit unfair but I don't rule the world so I'll go with it.

Well, gotta go to work! Have a great day with perfect stitches on the back of your quilts!!